Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Weekend is not going as planned. :-(

Very early Thursday morning I woke up to Isaac coughing at around 5am. He had slept all night and I was grateful. He went back to sleep so I stayed in the bed. 30 minutes later he coughed again, but never cried for me. I did decide to go check on him and he was curled up at the foot of his bed. The head of his bed is raised by two bricks to help with his reflux so I thought that was why he was coughing so I put him back up at the head of his bed. My alarm was set for 6:30 so I tried to go back to sleep. At 6:30 I got up to get my shower. Within the next hour I heard him cough a couple of more times, so I thought, "Great, he is getting sick for his birthday". Well, my parents were due to arrive at any minute so I decided to go in and check on him again. Again, he was curled up at the foot of his bed. Then, I heard it. He heaved and then coughed. WHAT!!!??? I hurried and turned the light on and there it was, vomit all over his crib!! What an awful Mom I felt. I had laid my baby boy back up in his mess. It was dark and I couldn't see it or smell anything. It was bile basically and there were stains all over his sheet. He just laid there and looked at me and didn't move. He felt bad. I felt horrible. I got him up and washed his face and changed his clothes. He felt bad. Mom and Dad arrived and I thought I was see if he could hold down some formula. I only fixed a three ounce bottle and Mom gave it to him while I cleaned up his crib. He was so tired. As she rocked him after his bottle, he threw up all over her. So I waited to leave for work and called the doctor. They wanted to see him. He has the awful bug going around. We got him some things at the grocery. I fed him four ounces of pedialyte and put him to bed. Then I left for work.
Chris called me throughout the day with great reports. He never got the diarrhea and he hadn't vomited all day....until around 8pm. He threw up all over his room. Chris did a terrific job cleaning it up even with Isaac trying to love on his Daddy and wanting his Daddy. I am sure it was stressful cleaning with a crying baby that wants to be right there with you. Chris was exhausted when I got home around 9:30pm. Isaac was exhausted too. He now had a fever that he didn't have at the doctor. I tried to give him three ounces of pedialyte and was successful and I put him to bed. I was so bummed that he got sick again and now he had a fever. His big Birthday party is Sunday. It is just for the immediate family and everyone works different shifts and that is the only day to do it. It is not looking good for the party.
So here I am Saturday morning and Isaac woke me crying a few times last night. At 3am I offered him four ounces of pedialyte and he took it, along with some motrin. He still had a fever, 100.6. I thought around 3:30am he was going to throw up. He was very uncomfortable. I took him into the bathroom and sat on the toilet and rocked him. He soothed down and I put him to bed. He slept solid from 4am to 8am.
Since he woke up, still with a fever, I gave him four more ounces of pedialyte and some tylenol. He wants me to hold him constantly. Please tell me that he can feel better so we can still have his party tomorrow. I am just so bummed.....

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that little Isaac is sick. It's always so hard to see your little one feel bad, especially when there's nothing you can really do to make it better. Hopefully the worst is behind him, and he'll be ready to party! Wishing you all the best!!

    Tara, don't be so hard on yourself...I know, you're gonna be like me and every other mom and still feel guilt over things even when you're not at fault, but I thought I'd try to throw some encouragement your way :o) You're a wonderful Mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy! It's so hard when they are little and sick like that. Don't beat yourself up though.. it's hard to know what's going on when they can't tell you. Don't worry though...it won't be much longer before he can tell you what's wrong :-)

    This reminds me.. one of our teachers at school had her son's first birthday a few weekends ago.. her baby was just getting over that awful bug too. Monday morning rolled around and half the school staff who went to the party ended up sick! If you have the party, just tell everyone to enter at their own risk! :-) Hopefully though.. most people have already had it and they will be immune. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Isaac starts feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete